Friday, July 23, 2010

Post Op

Wednesday morning E had her surgery (tonsils and adenoids removed).  It was awful.  How else can you describe what my baby went through?  Right before the surgery they tried giving her a sedative (liquid red medicine) which she fought.  So then I had to go into the OR with her and hold her while they put her to sleep with gas.  The image of my baby asleep and limp get transferred to the bed is an image I'll never forget.  Then we sat in the waiting room for the longest 45 minutes.  Thank GOD everything went smoothly and was right on time.  I was so excited I got to see her the minute they  finished until I saw the state she was in.  She still half asleep, her body was moving and she was crying.  She wasn't recognizing that it was me holding her so she was fighting it.  Then the nurse said she had to give her some morphine.  So after the first (yes I said first) dose she woke up and still was crying in main.  So fifteen minutes later she got her second dose of morphine which finally calmed her down.  I just held her and kept whispering in her ear "Mommy's here.  Mommy's here" over and over and over.  I'm not sure who I was trying to calm her or me.  After that we got transferred to her room where we would stay through the rest of the day and till Thursday morning.  We got the shitty end of the room which meant I  we would be sitting and sleeping in a recliner chair.  E was in and out of naps and not a happy camper.  She wouldn't drink and fought every nurse who tried to give her medicine.  Not to mention she had an iv in her arm which had to have a diaper over it to keep E from trying to remove it.  We basically got 2 hours of sleep that night in between the nurses chatting loudly in the hall, monitors beeping, our baby neighbor sharing our room crying every hour, and nurses walking in and out of the room. 
I was so excited to get up and leave Thursday morning but the doctor kindly said E was not allowed home until she started drinking more.  So I said E if you want to go home you better start drinking.  And she did.  Not a lot but enough to allow us home.  So now we are ending our second night at home and boy is good to be home. 
I feel so lucky and blessed that her surgery went well and that E is recovering wonderfully.  I am so thankful that it was only a "small" surgery and is other wise healthy.  But, at the same time was stressful and hated every minute of watching my baby go through what she did.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking part in our To the Top Tuesday Blog Hop! I'm your newest follower!

    Also I wanted to say I have had an 8 day stay in the hospital with my daughter, and then an outpatient surgery. Worst feeling in the world, for any mom, to be so helpless and have to just trust in the doctors. I know it doesn't make it any easier, but you aren't alone. I hope you guys have a quick physical and emotional recovery from the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your nice comment. It's comforting knowing other people know what I'm talking about!

    ReplyDelete