I would say that I'm an over protective parent. I can't help it! What parent wouldn't want to prevent harm from happening to their child? Sometimes I feel like I exhaust myself trying to protect E from every upset in her life. Part of the problem is when she spends time with her Dad she doesn't want to. But you can't explain to a Two year old that you don't have a choice. It's a horrible feeling watching your child be hysterical and there is nothing you can do about it. But, back to trying to protect her, yesterday she was standing on the couch about to jump off. I went to catch her before she hurt herself and in end I ended up hurting her:
See that big scratch on her cheek? Yup that's from my nail.
It was bleeding and I felt so bad after. I mean would she have even gotten hurt if I just let her jump off of it? Maybe she would have hurt herself a little but realized that it hurts and is not a good choice to make?
Well, you can't win I guess. But besides that how cute is her dress? It's from Children's Place for 4th of July!
Oh Honey, don't beat yourself up. My little one bears a similar scar in all her photos with me on Mother's Day two years ago because I did the same thing, reach out to stop her from falling over. I ended up doing more harm than good. I bet it's some cosmic reminder that when we jump in to be over protective, we run the risk of doing more harm that god. At least, that helps me a bit. :) I do love that dress. How adorable!
ReplyDeleteThanks! And yes it was a great reminder that I may being doing more harm then good in that situation.
ReplyDelete